Moving to Hugo

This used to be a Drupal site. It’s now static HTML, generated with Hugo.

URLs have changed a bit, but I think I’ve got redirects in place for everything. RSS aggregators will re-download everything (sorry), but that was probably going to happen anyway since Drupal doesn’t use URLs as GUIDs in RSS. On the up side, at least there wasn’t much content.

The contact form is also gone. While it’s not impossible to add a contact form to a Hugo site, I decided it was more trouble than it was worth. An important reason for the move was to avoid having to worry about security updates for the software generating any dynamic content. (I don’t mean to suggest that Drupal was particularly bad in this respect, just that I prefer not having to think about it at all). Besides, in the six plus years that the form was up, it got lots of spam, but only three useful messages. If you need to contact me, you can do so using social media. Links can be found on my profile.

I took the opportunity to make a few other changes. For example, there are now Creative Commons licenses on all the content pages. Hugo gave me a handy list of content organised by license. I’m not entirely sure what to do with it, but if it’s useful to anyone, it’s there. Note that not everything is under the same license!

I also built a new theme, rather than trying to port a Drupal theme to Hugo. I still use Signika Negative for the headings but I’ve switched to Roboto for the content, as it seems to be a bit more readable for longer text. The new theme also responds to system-wide “dark mode” if your operating system and browser support that feature. Disclaimer: I haven’t tested the new theme at all in Internet Explorer.